Here are some steps for using the data translation tools to process data from raw format to ACMO CSV report. All the tools discussed below can be downloaded from AgMIP toolshed web site.
Step 1: Prepare the input file for QuadUI.
1. From raw xls or xlsx files. (ADA: http://tools.agmip.org/ada.php)
QuadUI requires input files in *.csv format. You can convert *.xls or *.xlsx files to *.csv format with the ADA utility. Each worksheet is saved as a separate comma delimited file and multiple files are compressed into a zip archive.
Please ignore the check box of safe mode if you have installed Microsoft Excel 2007 or later on your PC, otherwise please check that box.
The different types of input files should be processed separately and saved as separate zip archives:
- Survey Data : Contains simulation, soil and weather data collected from survey data and other sources.
- Field Overlay: Contain the DOME commands to modify or supplement the survey data set.
- Seasonal Strategy: Similar to the Field Overlay, but used to generate multi-year simulations.
2. From model input files.
QuadUI also can accept the following types of file
- DSSAT model input file (*.??X; *.??A; *.??T; *.sol; *.wth; *.cul)
- AgMIP weather file (*.agmip)
- Combination model, like simulation and soil data from DSSAT and weather data from AgMIP weather.
- More models will be supported in the future...
Since the model input files usually are multiple separated files, you need to compress to put all files into a single zip archive file. No internal folder structure is required.
3. From stand alone data file with harmonized format. (*.json; *.aceb)
These kinds of file could be used directly as *.zip file. No pre-handling required.
Step 2: Start QuadUI and configure the translation for your files. (QuadUI: http://tools.agmip.org/quadui.php)
- By selecting different run type, QuadUI will run for different purposes and requires different input files.
- Raw Data Only : Only import the raw data file and generate the model input file as it is. No changes to data will be applied to the data.
- Field Overlay : Imported raw data file and field overlay DOME file together. The DOME file will provide additional data for the model simulations.
- Seasonal Strategy : Import both Field Overlay plus seasonal strategy DOME files. The multi-years (usually 30-years) simulation will be generated. The other things will be same as Field Overlay.
- The options for generating the model-specific input files for several models. The JSON format option generates a file in harmonized AgMIP format, which is useful for debugging and other purposes.
- Additional options for user convenience.
- Compress Output : The generated model input files will be compressed in a zip archive file.
- Overwrite Previous Output Data : Previously generated model files will be overwritten.
- Only generate ACE Binary files : No model files will be generated, but the machine readable aceb file will be created
Click on "Convert" to generate the specified file.s The generated model input files will be put into a sub-folder named with corresponding model name under your selected output directory. The JSON and ACEB files will be put in the root of output directory.
Step 4: Run the model with generated model input files and get model output files.
In some of the model (currently DSSAT and APSIM), there will be batch files to run the data in the command line, like run45.bat in the DSSAT folder will run DSSAT v4.5; runApsim75.bat will run APSIM v7.5 with current data.
Step 5: Run the ACMOUI to translate model output file into ACMO report CSV file. (ACMOUI: http://tools.agmip.org/acmoui.php)
The ACMOUI can pick up the key simulation result information from model output files, and combine with meta information of data set into a spreadsheet for future analysis.
Once click the convert button, the generated ACMO file will shown in window.